Monday, February 23, 2009

No TV

Without much effort or maybe I should say, without a struggle, we've pretty much eliminated TV from being watched during the day.  Let me say, I really enjoy it.


I had been struggling for a bit that Aubrey watched too much TV during the day now that it's been cold and going outside isn't always the easier option as an activity.  She would watch Arthur in the AM while eating breakfast, then usually a show during lunch, and then depending on the afternoon activities, some after nap or while I was cooking dinner.  This, of course, varied by day.
I wasn't sure how to really eliminate it without hearing the whine that would accompany it.  

Well, back in November, the Seasonal Music station through the cable began playing Christmas music and I would have that on during the day, eliminating the option to also have a program on.  There were no complaints.  We listened to Christmas music through Christmas.
With Christmas came lots of new games to play and books to read.  Once the music stopped, the TV didn't start.  It was wonderful.  
Our TV is rarely on during the day.  About 1-2x a week (total, not a day, a week) she'll ask to watch something and since it's SO RARE that she asks, I say yes.    

We spend the morning eating breakfast without TV.  Then we play games and read.  The great thing is both Aubrey and Benjamin are great independent players.  They don't need me there all the time. They enjoy playing with each other and the playroom is set-up in the basement so that they can be down there without me and not get hurt.

When Aubrey is asked if she wants to watch a program, generally she says no.  She'd rather put together some puzzles, play with her leapster, play dress-up or in her kitchen, play on the computer, play ponies, princesses, or just read.  

I love that the TV is not the focus of our house and mostly, I love that it just happened!

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home