Burger Mondays
Rudy and I enjoy eating. We love good food. We love to prepare good food. We love to eat at restaurants (cheap or expensive) that offer great menu items. We aren't picky eaters, we just ask that it's good and full of flavorS. Yes, that's plural. We get bored with the same dishes, the same flavors, ingredient, etc.
That being said, we are also menu planners. In order to save on the grocery budget and not eat ourselves into a rut, we plan out a weekly menu. We by no means cook gourmet meals every night, we simply strive for a healthy balance and variety from the food pyramid.
The spring issue of Food Network's Magazine (which I HIGHLY recommend) featured a few burger recipes from Bobby Flay's new book, "Burgers, Fries, and Shakes". As we glanced through, mouthes watering, we decided to dedicate one night of our menu to making a new burger throughout the summer. It just felt fitting.
We decided Monday would be perfect and thus became our family's Burger Monday menu challenge. The challenge being we couldn't simply have a plain burger. We needed to find or create our own burger recipes. For the most part we would follow the recipe exactly. However, sometimes we would swap out ground beef for ground chicken or turkey.
And since some of you have asked and even suggested I blog about it, here are a few of our favorites from the summer.
The first we tried and probably our favorite is Flay's Dallas burger---YUM!

Another favorite was Rachael Ray's Black Bean Burrito Burger.
(no picture)
Another was Flay's Philly Burger.

Another was a Portobello Mushroom Veggie stack burger. We replicated something I had at Boston Blackies. This was a grilled Portobello Mushroom stacked with grilled eggplant, sautéed rainbow of peppers and onions, sliced tomato, and lettuce served on a toasted grain roll.
(no picture)
Another was Ray's Jerk Pork Cheeseburger with Granny Smith Apple Slaw.

A few others:
Chicken Caesar Burger
Veggie filled blue cheese burgers
Spice rubbed Turkey Burgers
Stuffed Cheese burgers
There have been many burgers cooked and enjoyed throughout the summer. I'm sure this is a summer tradition to continue for years to come!
Try some of them. You won't be disappointed!
I think I just gained 5 lbs reading your post!
Theresa said... September 6, 2009 at 2:14 AM
Post a Comment